Nothing says Christmas like gingerbread and I found this great simple recipe. Other recipes I’ve tried have been too bitter or even too time consuming. But this one is perfect. I advice rolling it quite thick so you get nice chewy cookies.
– 350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling
– 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 2 tsp ground ginger
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 125g/4½oz butter
– 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
– 1 free-range egg
– 4 tbsp golden syrup
– writing icing
– cake decorations
1. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda,
ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of
a food processor. Add the butter and blend
until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in
2. Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup
together, add to the food processor and pulse
until the mixture clumps together. Tip the
dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in
clingfim and leave to chill in the fridge for 15
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line
two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
4. Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness
on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut
out the gingerbread men shapes and place on
the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly
golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes
and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
When cooled decorate with the writing icing
and cake decorations.